Just celebrated the 40th birthday and worrying about how you will look best after it?
40s is the new 30s; many routines commonly termed as traditional way has been changed over the course of time. The skin changes in every age and the products should be changed according to the time. Hitting 40 is normal, so does changing the skin care routine.
You cannot use the same products, which you have been using in your 20s and 30s. The skin change as the person starts to age; keeping the same skin is difficult, but maintaining the same radiant and glow in 40s can be difficult. However, following a skin care routine religiously will yield the best result and you can still look your best at this age too.
- Follow a cleansing routine: A cleansing routine will wash away all the impurities from the face; follow a cleansing routine especially at night to wash away the day’s impurities. These impurities when accumulated on face, will only cause skin problems which would be easily visible. Always invest in a good cleanser from a trusted brand, which sells good skin care products. If the skin starts to dry, then opt for a hydrating wash. If the skin type is normal or combo, then go for a foaming cleanser, which will help the skin get rid of excessive oil.
Always look for the ingredients used in the products, one is opting for; choose a cleanser that has alpha hydroxy acids or AHAs. These can help to prime the skin to better absorb the products, that one is applying afterwards. One doesn’t need to use an exfoliating product or a scrub along with this cleanser, because using both can irritate the skin.
- Use Retinoid products: Retinoid has anti-aging properties; it stimulate new growth of skin and prevent the breakdown of collagen. You can use retinoid creams and consume foods that are rich in retinoid. These are present in plants as well as animal sources. The vegetarian sources of retinoid are carrots, pumpkins, mangoes, peaches, apricots, kale, spinach and broccoli. Dairy products rich in retinoid are milk, Swiss cheese and butter. Animal sources are eggs, cod liver oil and fish. Including these food in the diet will improve eyesight, restores reproductive health and helps in bone formation.
- Opt for a good moisturizer: Wearing a sunscreen on the daily basis is the most important thing to do for a younger looking skin. SPF prevents the further damage, which is to be done by the sun to the skin. While looking for good moisturizers, opt for the one that filter both UVA and UVB rays with and SPF of at least 30. For better results, choose the SPF moisturizer that includes DNA repair enzymes like photolyase and endonuclease; these ingredients will help block the UV light, and reduces the risk of aging even more.
- Eye cream: Under eye area is sensitive; at 40s, wrinkles, puffiness and dark circles are the most common problem faced by women and even men. This can be due to stress, which can be cured by a sound sleep or some home remedies. Although, if this is because of aging, starting an under-eye cream is a good idea. Treating under-eye area with moisturizers or night creamsis a big no; invest in a good eye cream that could be used before the bed time.
- Healthy diet: If the continuous investment in good products hasn’t yielded any results, then it’s time to reconsider your diet. Everything consumed by a person, always reflects on that person’s face and skin. Eat healthy and nourishing meals with a balance of carbohydrates, proteins, good fats, vitamins and minerals. Choose smoothies, soups, green vegetables and fruits over processed drinks and junk food. It’s alright to cheat once in a while on diet but doing it regularly would only affect you. Refrain from smoking and alcohol consumption. Drink enough water and avoid irregular sleep patterns – this will ensure a healthy and a radiant skin.
- Exercise regularly: For a glowing skin, exercise daily for at least 20 minutes. Exercises like – jogging, walking, brisk walking and swimming release the toxins from the body in the form of sweat and urine. It improves the blood circulation and level of oxygen in skin cells. It also makes a person calm and releases stress, that is easily visible on the face. Daily workout will not only help in maintaining the weight but also give a radiant skin.
- Meet the experts: Sometimes, the skin is damaged in a way, that even the best skin essentials are not capable of repairing it. A good dermatologist will recommend the best products, according to the skin type and will suggest the best treatments like Botox, fillers and thermage. These treatments can ultimately reduce the amount of effort put by an individual; these are expensive but produce fast result, and a person then have to spend less in their 50s or beyond.
Aging is a part of life; embrace it and involve yourself in a healthy routine, which will ensure a good lifestyle. If you are facing issues in selecting the products, then visit a dermatologist, who will help you choose the right products according to the skin type.