The hair on your body is completely natural, yet many people opt to remove them. As you reach puberty, the soft and light hair on your body become darker and more apparent. Often, it is during this time that most people become aware of their body hair, and if they do not like how it looks, opt to get rid of it.
There are many ways in which you can get rid of your body hair, and some of them are permanent. From shaving to laser removal, many methods have been developed solely to get rid of body hair. But why? Why something natural is deemed so unworthy? Well, depending on each person, there are different reasons why people opt t get rid of their unwanted body hair.
Why You Should Get Rid Of Body Hair That Is Unwanted:
There are many reasons why people opt to get rid of unwanted body hair; here are a few reasons why:
- Smoother Skin: When you are waxing or shaving the unwanted hair off your body, you are also getting rid of all of the dead skin cells which have accumulated in the top layer of your skin. Thus, your skin becomes softer and smoother after you shave or wax.
- Brighter Skin: As dead skin cells accumulate in the top layer f your skin due to the daily wear and tear they lend a dark and dull appearance to the skin. When you shave or wax your body hair, these skin cells are entirely removed from the skin making it appear brighter. Additionally, if you want to exfoliate away the dead skin cells on your arms and legs, but have unwanted body hair on them, then the dead cells may catch on to the hair on your body, making the exfoliation quite ineffective.
- The Efficiency Of Skin Products: Usually, when you apply your skin products on, they may not be able to affect your skin due to the unwanted body hair absorbing them, and even the dead skin cells. The healthy layer below is thus left without any nourishment, and hence, you may see ineffective results but, when you shave or wax off your body hair and ensure that your skin if fresh and healthy, the products are able to permeate the skin better and work their magic.
- Bye Bye Sweat Stains: there is some evidence to suggest that when you remove armpit hair, your sweating will not be a problem anymore. Shaving or getting rid of our armpit by any other method does not reduce the sweat produced by your body, rather, it helps make the sweat stains that appear on your clothes due to excessive sweating a little less pronounced. Hence, you are able to be more confident when approaching others!
- Better Swimming: Have you ever noticed that athletic swimmer have their entire body shaved? And it’s not just to fit in with the social norms. An athletic swimmer gets rid of body hair since many studies have shown that hair-free skin offers a significant advantage to your swimming performance and can significantly reduce the time taken to complete one lap.
- Look Better, Feel Better: In today’s world, a lot of a person’s self-esteem is tied with their looks. Hence, looking good and fitting in with others plays a significant role in maintaining a healthy mental life for most people. Although =shaving and waxing may be time consuming and inconvenient for some, it makes others more confident in themselves.
- Treating Wounds: If you are someone who is prone to injury or it comes with the job, as for athletes, then you will find that having no body hair can be a boon. When treating injuries, at hospitals or clinics, you will see that nurses and doctors first shave off your body hair. This is because body hair can sometimes trap in harmful a bacterium which is not safe around an open wound. Additionally, cleaning and treating the injury also become s a lot easier.
How Can You Get Rid Of Unwanted Body Hair?
Whether you are looking for at home treatments or professional treatments, there are many ways that you can get rid of unwanted body hair:
- Shaving: The most common and preferred method for getting rid of body hair is to use a razor to shave it off. It takes comparatively less amount of time and is relatively easy and painless.
- Waxing: This method pulls the hair out from the follicle, and hence, keeps the hair away from your body for longer. However, it can be quite painful and sometimes cause bleeding in those with sensitive skin.
- Sugar waxing: This method is just like waxing, however, instead of y=using wax, a sugar mixture is used which has the texture of a melted down hard candy. This method is little more effective than traditional waxing and also exfoliates the skin very well. Hence, many people prefer this method since it leaves their skin feeling much softer and smoother.
- Epilators: These machines can be used at home, and they work by tweezing and pulling the hair follicles from your body. Hence, the results last a lot longer than merely shaving off the hair.
- Hair Removal Creams: Another popular method is to use depilatory creams that burn or damage the hair follicle slowly. They produce lasting results, as the hair follicle needs to grow back again before your body hair can grow; however, there is a risk of causing chemical burns to your skin.
Whether it is to get smoother skin and softer skin, or just because they do not like the look of it, there are many reasons why people, women especially, choose to get rid of the unwanted hair on their body, the most common of which is just to fit and look prettier. Most women are more likely to saver wax their body hair since it is viewed to be more socially acceptable and as an additional step to enhance their beauty routine.