Visiting the dental clinic is one of the worst experiences for teenagers as having dental problems is painful, embarrassing and also a hassle for many teens. Teenagers need to have strong teeth, as this is a growing age and without strong teeth it is difficult to properly eat food.
This has an impact in the overall health of the teenagers as they do not get the right nutrients that are needed for growing kids. There are many dental problems that are commonly faced by teenagers all over the world. The following are 7 of the most common dental problems faced by teenagers:
Common Dental Problems
- Cavities are a major problem for teenagers. Cavities are tooth decay which means that a hole is formed in the tooth because of the decay and the teenagers can lose the tooth if a cavity is not treated.
- The common problems associated with tooth cavities include tooth sensitivity, tooth pain, tooth decay, and stains on the teeth. Cavities do not just cause pain but they look bad and need to be treated.
- Cavities are caused because of plaque that includes bacteria, saliva, acid, and food particles. Cavities are formed because of bad food habits including acidic food and sugary foods. Not getting enough fluoride and suffering from dry mouth are also causes of a tooth cavity.
- Anorexia, bulimia, and acid reflux diseases are all problems that cause tooth decay.
- These problems can be easily be fixed by using a different toothpaste like mi paste mint.
- Another major dental problem in teenagers is gum disease. Inflammation of gums is caused by bacterial infections which makes the gums swollen and also creates redness and soreness of the gums. This dental problem is also called gingivitis.
- Untreated gum disease can become a serious infection called periodontitis. If this problem occurs because of gum disease it can cause serious damage to bones and teeth in the area.
- Gum disease is more common for people with diabetes, pregnant women and also with people with genetic factors which cause gum disease. Strong medications, broken tooth fillings, crooked teeth, and reduced immunity are some of the causes of gum disease.
- Getting the teeth cleaned, antibiotic medications and even surgery are some of the options for solving the problems of gum diseases.
Misaligned and Crowded Teeth
- Alignment of the teeth is not perfect for every individual and children many times have a misalignment in their teeth or they have crowded teeth. Crooked teeth, overbite, underbite, and crossbite are some of the problems in misaligned and crowded teeth.
- Misalignment of teeth makes it harder to eat food and also makes it a difficult cosmetic issue for teenagers. Misalignment of teeth can look bad which makes it an embarrassing problem for teenagers.
- Misaligned and crooked teeth are caused because of genetics, overuse of pacifiers, prolonged bottle feeding. Thumb sucking in early childhood are factors that cause this dental problem in teenagers. Other reasons include injuries that cause misalignment of jaw, mouth or jaw tumors, poor dental care, mouth breathing, cleft lip and palate.
- Some of the ways in which this dental problem is treated include braces, aligners, removal of overcrowded teeth, reshaping the jaw with surgery, and using wires and plates to stabilize jaw bone.
- Rotten teeth or decaying teeth are a major problem among children and teenagers. Frequent trips to the dental clinic are needed.
- A toothache, tooth sensitivity to hot and cold, and stains on the teeth are common problems with rotten teeth. Black, white and brown spots are caused on the teeth because of rotten teeth.
- Bad breath, pain in the teeth, unpleasant taste in the mouth, and swelling are all issues associated with rotten teeth and tooth decay.
- Rotten teeth are caused because of poor dental hygiene, dry mouth, dental crevices, and fluoride deficiencies are all reasons for rotten teeth. A bad diet which includes a lot of sugary drinks and sweets and also a large amount of carbohydrates results in rotten teeth.
- A toothache is a major problem which teenagers suffer from and for which they need to be properly treated at their local dental clinic. A toothache is an indication that the teeth and gums are not healthy and there are some dental problems that need to be solved.
- A toothache is caused because of many factors like tooth cavities and infections, rarer problems like oral cancers, and swelling of gums. Misalignment of teeth and even sinus infections can all cause a toothache.
- Some serious heart issues also can cause a toothache but this is a rare problem especially among teenagers. Diagnosing the reason for the toothaches helps dentists find the right treatment for the problem of a toothache
- Halitosis or bad breath is a major problem all over the world and especially embarrassing for teenagers as they can find it difficult to deal with especially in social situations.
- There are many reasons for bad breath that includes poor dental hygiene, strong foods and beverages, smoking, dry mouth, and periodontal diseases. Sinus conditions, mouth and throat conditions, kidney disease, diabetes, liver problems, and gastroesophageal reflux disorder are all reasons for bad breath.
- There are many ways in which dentists can solve this problem and the most important aspect of this is to diagnose why the bad breath is taking place and finding out the underlying health issue that is causing bad breath.
- Canker sore or mouth ulcers are a painful problem in teenagers that can hurt teeth and gums due to the redness, swelling, and inflammation caused by them.
- These ulcers are like red and yellow boils inside the mouth and they cause inflammation and pain in the mouth. It is difficult to eat with canker sores as every time food touches the ulcer, it hurts.
- Reasons for canker sores include viral infections, hormonal fluctuations, stress, food allergies, deficiencies of vitamins and minerals, and mouth injury are some of the reasons for canker sores. Immunity problems and menstruation are other reasons for canker sores.
- Good oral dental hygiene and a good diet are ways to prevent canker sores. A dental professional can handle such problems in an effective manner as mouth ulcers can cause tremendous pain which are needed to be treated medically in a timely manner.
As mentioned above, there are many dental problems that teenagers face all over the world. It is important to diagnose the exact dental problems and also fix dental issues before they become serious and cause a major problem for teenagers in their daily lives. Visiting the dental clinic is the best choice for any of the above mentioned or other types of dental problems in teenagers.